Saturday, September 11, 2004

Goodbye's

There is a country song that has a line in it saying that "Goodbye's, easier said then done, Goodbye's there no fun when your the one who's Goodbye's you swore would never come.".

I turned in my two weeks notice at work on Friday and have started to explain to people my reason for leaving, that a college education is much easier to secure at my age if the pressure is eased by not working a minimum wage job and trying to pay $500 a month for an apartment. That Topeka is still the same as it was when I was five and that moving two hours from New York City has a lot of appeal. No matter how good the reasons for leaving the reality is that I don't want to go.

My reasons for wanting to stay are selfish reasons. I do not want people to take my place. I do not want my job to find a person that is capable of replacing me. I do not want my nephew to smile at a makeshift aunt. But most of all I do not want my roommates kids to have perfect weekends with anyone other than me.

This is a particularly difficult one because, unlike my family, my roommate will move on with life and there is a good chance that I will never see the kids again. Ellie, who is four, asked me the other day why she can't just come with me. I told her that she would miss her mom and dad, that her brother Alex, would not have anyone to pick on. These comments were met with blank stares but when I mentioned that Evan, her little black puppy, would get lonely she smiled and started to tell me about Evan going potty on the floor. I will miss her bumping into me because she is following me around the house to closely, I will miss her constantly asking me what I am doing and I will miss her chasing my cat around trying to get a hug, I will miss her wiggling around on my lap during a movie and sighing with boredom. I take comfort in knowing that I have contributed to their future. In knowing that they will never forget me and that our perfect weekends were highlights in their lives. More than that, I take comfort in knowing their new address so that I can bombard them with letters and presents thereby securing my status as the coolest and most favorite friend.

So to Alex and Ellie... I have loved our time together and will never say goodbye, only see you later, alligator!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home