Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Love Hate Relationship.

I have a love hate relationship with the ocean. When we were in Ocean City I mostly hated the ocean. It is violent and smelly and makes the sand stick in places that sand should not stick. This past weekend, however, was a love weekend.

My friends, Krista and Adam, invited me to stay in Rehobeth Beach with Adam's grandparents for the weekend. His grandparents own a 1970's trailor in a beautiful community set on the ocean. When you are on their front porch it feels like you are in a forest and not at the ocean but a short golf cart ride to their 20 foot pontoon boat and it is all ocean.

Every morning we would get up and go out to the boat. On Friday we went crabbing and I caught several crabs using a chunk of chicken meat. Crabs frighten me a little but I was able to pull them in, net them and then watch from the other side of the boat as Adam's grandpa measured them and dropped them in the live well. In Ocean City I learned to eat a crab, a real crab not just the legs like you get at Red Lobster but the hole thing. There is a new joy in eating crab when you know that you have caught them and cooked them.

On Saturday we went fishing, I caught two flouders but they were only about a foot each and they have to be 17.5 inches in order to keep them. Once again I was able to caste the line and real them in, then I watched as the boys measured them and threw them back in the water. In the afternoon we went clamming.

Clamming does not require a boat. You simply walk into the water and scrap a rake along the ground, when you feel like you hit something you dig it up. I caught mostly rocks and shells but between the four of us we caught 48 clams. I tried to eat a clam but it was gross so I just saved the shell.

Sunday we went fishing again, I mostly caught seaweed so we packed our bags and headed home.

I am getting to see so many new things. I felt like a little kid everyday as someone would try to teach me something new. While I learned how to eat a crab it was clear that I was a Kansas girl trying to eat with East Coast people. My crab shells were pulverized when I was finished and my meals were more exhausting than nourishing!!

See you later fishy fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home