Monday, September 26, 2005

Dude... Kauffman Stadium sucks

Sorry, I know it is a pretty stadium and I will forever cherish the memories of going to my first MLB games there but Kauffman has nothing on Camden Yards. For that matter the Orioles have nothing on the Red Sox. I'll explain...

Yesterday, Krista, Adam and I drove the two hours to Baltimore to watch the Orioles and the Red Sox. Now originally when the tickets were purchased I opted for Red Sox on the weekend instead of Yankees on the weekday. If I knew then what I knew now. I also originally had planned on rooting for the Red Sox. They are a good team and I have more reason to root for them than the Orioles. Well, I did. Little did I know that the Red Sox and the Yankees would be tied and that I would so desperately want the Red Sox to loose. Nor did I know that by cheering for the Orioles at Camden Yards would actually put me in the minority.

So short story long, the Red Sox won. But the roar of the crowd was un-freaking-believable. I have now changed the parameters of my requirements for a permanent home. I want to raise my kids near baseball, real baseball. I think the Cubs at Wrigley Field would be what I am looking for. Die hard team fans but still close enough to drive home to see my family.

After the game we walked down to the field and all the players walked right by the lines of fans without so much as an acknowledgement and straight into the locker rooms. I hate that about the Red Sox, I have seen them on several occasions just ignore fans. Dude, you just won the game at least smile at us on your way in.

The real excitement was after the game though. We were walking to the car and an older lady missed the curb and fell. Her grandson went to help her up but she was bleeding, she lifted her pant leg and her skin on her knee was split from one side to the other. I had been holding a hooded sweatshirt so I stopped and wrapped it around her leg and held it on her wound. We took turns holding the wound and cleaning off our hands while we waited for the EMT to come and check her out. She was the sweetest lady, her name was Millicent and she was 85 and three quarters. This was her first MLB game and she was wearing a Boston hat. I stayed with her until the calvary arrived and then I said goodbye. She was so worried about ruining my jacket and about the fact that now she would have to go to the hospital and wouldn't be able to take her son out to eat. I told her to take him to the hospital cafeteria and not to worry about the jacket, it was a Walmart special.

We left the game and went down to the inner harbor and bummed around for a couple of hours. I love big cities because they are still open on Sunday nights. We shopped at the malls and listened to a street band. I bought some books at Barnes and Noble (which is big because there is no Barnes and Noble near here). We ducked into the Hard Rock Cafe and the ESPN Zone before making the two hour drive home.

All in all it was a lovely day. I love baseball!! Someday maybe I will post an ode to baseball.

2 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger jason said...

The game I saw at Camden was also Red Sox. I was with a Boston native at the time. We also went to the inner harbor after! We also helped some old lady who "fell." I think it must be some scam to get cheap cotton clothing. If you move near to a baseball stadium, I will so come visit more often.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't get into baseball as you and Jason apparently are, but I love football. I'm into grown men being pummeled and calling it a "game" or "sport"! Move close to a football field and well, it probably won't make any difference, cause I still don't have a car!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home