Saturday, March 05, 2005

Bone Bank

I am posting from Ohio. I drove my new Jeep to Ohio on Thursday so that I could be here for my aunt Karen's back surgery. She had a crushed disk removed and the empty area packed with bone from the Bone Bank. The girls and I have been trying to determine what and how there is such thing as a bone bank. Blood Bank I understand but there is no easy way to remove bone from the body and most of the bones in the body are key players in the body's ability to function.

Anyways she is doing okay and will hopefully come home at the beginning of the week. She seems exhausted and in pain. They told her that it may take a year before she starts to feel relief from the pain of the nerve that was being pinched by all of the crushed bone. I wish that I could stay longer with the girls. They are the most caring and self sufficient bunch I have ever seen.

While I am here I am finding it difficult to keep myself from comparing and contrasting the lifestyles that my aunts have. Neither is better or worse than the other but they are so different from each other. I suppose that there are utimately as many similarities as differences but the differences are what I see.

I remember both of my aunts playing a large role in my childhood but each in a different way. Aunt Karen was more of a constant and a second mother when I was little. She taught me to tie my shoes and whistle. I wanted to be a trash women with her when I (we) grew up. Aunt Marla was who I went to in the summers once I was older. Her role was a motherly role but with a different feel that Karen's. I cannot describe the differences but I can feel them and I can remember them.

They are both people that I considered when I was thinking of moving but the deciding factors were Pennsylvania vs Ohio and one daughter vs five daughters. I can't help but wonder how things would differ is I was here. Ohio seems more like Kansas but Dayton is much bigger than Lebanon.

I know that it is not realistic but it would be nice to have my family all in one place. Of course when you are close to everyone then no one is excited to see you.

Well, I am tired so I will retire for the evening. Tomorrow we are going to go to Bob Evans before church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home