Saturday, August 27, 2005

and today there is just one...

Happy Birthday to me...
Alot has changed this year and a birthday is always a distinct milestone on which to reflect such changes.
  • Last year I was working nights at Toy's R Us, this year the girls at Victoria's Secret gave me presents and a cake at our meeting and then sent me home to have the day off.
  • Last year my mom and sister took me to a play and then we played in the rain, this year my sister is at school, my mom is running around with my grandma and the skies in PA are overcast.
  • Last year my dad took me to lunch, this year he sent me a beautiful e-card.
It is hard to look at my life and not see the improvements that have been made. I have chosen a major (at least for now), I am in school and doing well, I have a truck that is paid in full, I do not have to worry about the electricity or water getting shut off. But I miss my family.
Sometimes I wish my parents had raised me differently...
  • when I cannot choose a career path I wish they had not told me I could be anything but instead had put limits on my potential
  • when I miss my family so much that breathing is difficult I wish they had taught me that family is not important and can be replaced by co-workers that barely know you or by a well meaning man at the mall who sang Happy Birthday to someone other than me because he really didn't know me
  • when I wish that I had married Matt I think about my parents instilling in my the value of my self and the importance of marrying a man that saw that value

So today I will do homework and listen to the Happy Birthday message from Jason and David about 200 times, I will clean the house a little and then take myself to a movie. I will be happy that I am here, that I am bettering myself, I will be thankful that my parents raised me to see the world around me and to know that I can go out and grab ahold of it and that someday things will not seem so out of reach.

Happy Birthday to me...

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice post today, babydoll. I tries to call you several times Saturday, but only got the answering machine. I'll try again this afternoon. Hope you had a wonderful day!
Love -
Dad

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey happy bday I wanted to call you but didn't get around to it. I love you so much you have no idea really!!! Good luck with school thankfully I still have one week left of summer break...still no job and a 'guyfriend' that turned out to be a total jerk. Anyways...talk with you later.
Love~~
Andrea B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home