Monday, October 25, 2004

When did 25 get too old?

Ever hear the expression the apple does not fall far from the tree?

When I lived in Topeka my Grandma Veda liked to set me up with "nice Christian boys that maybe could become nice friends". On more than one occasion over the last five years she has handed my senior picture (sadly seven years old now), out with my phone number to "nice Christian boys" and told them to call me for a Coke. These boys never called. It could be that they feared the problems that I might have that would require my seventy year old grandma to get dates for me. Surely it is not the sight of my picture cause I was having an one day when they were taken, that and the photographer had the ability to "buff out" any blemishes.

Last year after meeting the man I was dating at the time, my Grandma gave me my Wedding quilt. I suppose she figured if this was who I was dating then marriage may not be something I would encounter soon.

Moving to PA was a safe distance to move so that I could ensure that there would be no more instances of "nice Christian boys" receiving my photo and phone number.

There was just one error in my planning. I moved in with.... VEDA'S DAUGHTER.

Tonight I was standing at work minding my own business when a tall, blonde and handsome young man came to the counter with a look on his face that told me he was going to ask a question. My first instinct was that he needed help finding a gift for his girlfriends mom and didn't know where to start. WRONG. Instead he asked if my name was Skylar

"Yes" I replied

"Um, well my name is Justin and I know your aunt." Blood immediately drains from my face. "She told me that you might be looking for some good Christian fellowship and thought I should get in contact with you."

Now I am starting to look around for the hidden cameras or waiting for the punch line, something. But there was none. He stood there talking about how hard it can be to be in a new city and he would like to get a group of people together for fellowship, something casual, would I be interested. Here is were I should have taken a moment to step back and breathe before reacting, instead I layed into the tall, blonde and handsome man.

"You have got to be kidding me. What did she give you a copy of my senior picture with my phone number on the back? Cause that's what my Grandma used to do. When did 25 become to old to be unmarried. Why does everyone think I need to be set up? Did she say maybe that I would like to go have a Coke with you? Cause that is what my Grandma used to say. How do you know my aunt? Did my Grandma put her up to this?

This poor tall, blonde handsome man stood there listening to me rant all the while trying to interject...

"Um, well I am seeing someone but I thought maybe we could just be friends."

Oh, okay open mouth insert foot, not that I was thinking about dating this man because I am not interested in dating but it would have been nice to be considered for the position.

After an exchange of phone numbers (mine was undoubtedly thrown in the trash can immediately), he left and I felt like I had been sideswiped. The next guest in line tried to make me feel better by telling me she did not get married until she was 29. Thanks, now I must call the tall, blonde and handsome man and apologize for being a complete spaz. I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home